BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Baby Name of the Day- Jolie


Today's baby name is Jolie.

JOLIE
Gender: Feminine
Usage:
English, Various
Pronounced: JO-lee (English), zho-LEE (French)
[key]
Means "pretty" in French. This name was popularized by American actress Angelina Jolie (1975-), whose surname was originally her middle name. It is not used as a given name in France.


The name Jolie first appears on the Social Security list in the year 1968 at the number 886 spot. Jolie then bounced around between the 900-700 range until 1974 when it was at the number 884 spot, then dropped completely off from the years 1975-1999. In 2000 Jolie made an appearance at the number 821 spot, most likely spurred to life from the Movie Girl Interrupted (1999), due to the Oscar winning Actress from the movie Angelina Jolie. Jolie has gained popularity in the last 10 yrs reaching the number 564 spot in 2008.

I personally like this name a lot. There are the two ways to pronounce it, JO-lee and zho-LEE. Most modern parents who choose this name do so because of the French pronunciation associated with Angelina Jolie. I happen to prefer it as JO-lee (sounds like the names Joe Lee said fast). I have a friend with this name, and said that way. So for me it's a different association that follows this name.
I think this name is very feminine and sweet. It's a great "small town" type name. I see comfortable afternoons spent on a screened in porch while drinking ice tea. I see sunny days strolling through an open meadow...it's a very earthy, comfortable name to me.

Jolie would be a lovely name for a girl with big bright eyes and a winning smile. I think pairing this name needs to be careful, as a name that is too basic or simple as a middle might make it sound more 'country' than light and airy. Something like Mae, June, Louise, or Faye would not work here. I think a middle name would be best elegant, refined and sophisticated. Perhaps one that you might find a bit stuffy and overdone would be softened paired with Jolie. Something like Margaret, Constance, Henrietta, or Adele. Or something a bit whimsical could make this name a true home run with a very playful edge, such as Willow, Brenna, Gemma or Poppy.

The name works well from childhood to adulthood. For public opinion on the name Jolie as a first name and as a middle name see the link to the question I asked about it on Yahoo!Answers-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100301180418AAnUsu7


First/Middle name suggestions for Jolie (other than the ones listed already)

Jolie Matilda
Jolie Ruth
Jolie Adelaide
Jolie Patrice
Jolie Morgan
Jolie Esme
Jolie Violette

Caroline Jolie
Claudette Jolie
Evelyn Jolie
Michaela Jolie
Brianna Jolie
Charlotte Jolie
Ella Jolie
Serafina Jolie

I think for a very classic sounding, feminine and strong name Caroline Jolie and Jolie Violette (said the French way), sounds very lovely. I think any of the suggestions or alternatives close to them would make for a very well rounded and unique name. Uniqueness of name does not always have to be abrasive misspellings or made up words. There are so many beautiful underused names that can be paired to make a one-of-a-kind name!

Alternatives for the name Jolie are many. I enjoyed looking for alternatives for this name as Jo- names are very musical sounding to me and they make me smile. I think these alternatives are wonderful and should be considered before trying to be "yoo-neekly cre8tiv" with spellings or sounds.

Joyce
Joy
Joella
Joelle
Jolene
Jolisa (jo-liss-uh)
Joni (jo-nee)
Josette

Of the suggestions listed I find the names Joella/Joelle, Jolene, Joni and Josette to be very rare, feminine, creative, and lovely sounding alternatives. I think Joella would be my favorite here. It's very similar to the other -ella- names that are in fashion, but has a wonderful unique flare to it, that is not "trendy" but classic. It's mildly modern sounding and yet retains a wonderful exotic feel.

Overall I think the name Jolie is a wonderful youthful name. If paired with a good well-rounded middle or first it has great potential to become an unforgettable name. It's one that I can see lasting into adulthood quite nicely, yet sweet and airy enough to be playful and fun. A great name.

J. Kristen


(I would like to give a special thanks to my girls Hannah and Cassie for helping me with the middle/first name suggestions for this blog.)

0 comments: