BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Family Name Review Day- Glenda


Today's name review is on a family name...my family that is. Glenda, my mother's name.

GLENDA
Gender: Feminine
Usage:
Welsh, English
Pronounced: GLEN-də
[key]
A name created in the 20th century from the Welsh
elements glân "pure, clean" and da "good".

I remember asking a question about my mother's name on Yahoo!Answers. One answerer told me that Glenda was the incorrect spelling, that it was Glinda. This is FALSE. Glinda is an Americanized version of the traditional Glenda, popularized by the 1939 classic movie The Wizard of Oz. Everyone remembers Glinda the Good Witch. Glinda (Glenda) was chosen as the Good WItch's name because of it's definition- pure, clean, good.
I grew up thinking my mother had a very unique name, it was pretty and feminine.

The Social Security lists for the name Glenda start in the year 1911 at the 843 spot. It's popularity slowly increased over the next 3 decades. After the release of the movie The Wizard of Oz. It's highest rank was at 79 in 1944, and then it's popularity decreased. Between 1950 and 1955 Glenda went from 87 to 128. My mother was born with in that 5 year time frame. After 1955 it's popularity decreased considerably and by 1989 it was sitting at the number 900 spot, and then fell off the top 1000 list entirely, and has stayed off for the last 20 years.

I personally find the name Glenda beautiful, comforting sounding, calm, and earthy. It's uncommon beauty is easily over looked in this day and age when names like Gemma and Gillian are more popular G names for little girls. Glenda is a very grow up sounding name, so I can understand a parents reluctance to put such a strong name on a tiny baby...but in my opinion that is what nicknames are for, and I honestly would rather my daughter have a strong name to carry to adulthood than a 'cutsie' name that doesn't sit well on an adult woman once she is grown. I suppose nicknames for Glenda could be Glenn or Glenny/Glennie. I prefer Glennie (very similar to my childhood nickname Jennie).

I think Glenda is a perfect choice if you are looking for an uncommon but heard of name for your baby girl. It's not a name that is so far out there that it would cause upset in a child as they grew up, but not so common to being boring, overused, or uncreative as I fear many Emma's, Madison's or Sophia's might feel as they get older.

Middle names for Glenda that I personally find nice would be-
Glenda Corinne
Glenda Adelaide
Glenda Rose
Glenda Roisin
Glenda Dawn
Glenda Elise
Glenda Kate
Glenda Faith

I think a simple or very feminine middle would go best with Glenda. Something I usually stay away from, Rose would actually compliment this name. Glenda being so unusual and uncommon Rose balances it out. I think something classic and timeless like Adelaide or Roisin (row-sheen, Irish), would be lovely as well. Either short and sweet, or classic and super feminine this name carries either type of middle name very well.

Alternatives for Glenda would be-

Glinda
Yolinda
Yolanda
Brenda
Linda
Glenna
Glennis
Glenn
Glenys
Glenza

Overall I think Glenda is a very strong feminine name that will carry any simple or classic middle name well. It will look and sound professional on a grown woman, but can be simplified to a cute nickname as a child to soften it to a becoming favorite. Glenda is a highly likable and well-known name that I personally would love to see more of.

J. Kristen



0 comments: