BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Name of the Day- Maeve


Today's name is Maeve.

MAEVE

Gender: Feminine


Pronounced: MAYV [key], and in some places MAY-vee

Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Medb meaning "intoxicating". In Irish legend this was the name of a warrior queen of Connacht. Her fight against Ulster and the hero CĂșchulainn is told in the Irish epic 'The Cattle Raid of Cooley'.

The SS lists Maeve at the number 638 spot for 2008. The name Maeve showed up on the 1000 list in 1997 at the number 953 spot, and increased in favor over the next 10 yrs. By 2007 it had reached it's peek at the number 619 spot but slipped the following year in 2008 to 638. The name Maeve is ranked at number 455 in Scotland and does not appear on any top 1000 list for England or Ireland. Maeve is ranked at number 491 in Alberta Canada, at 427 in British Columbia Canada, and at 453 in Quebec Canada. Interestingly Maeve is listed at the number 98 spot for New Hampshire US, and the number 359 spot for New York US.

I have always had a soft spot for Celtic and Gaelic names. Being of Irish/Scottish/Welsh heritage I have always had a high interest in the language and culture. I would normally prefer the traditional spelling of Madb, but Maeve is a very lovely Anglicanism form. Maeve is a very soft name, very feminine. It's uncommon usage is a plus for me. I do like names that are truly uncommon, yet lovely. Maeve does fit this bill very well.

I would consider Maeve as an alternative to the over used May/Mae. May/Mae has always sounded a bit "farm girl" to me. It's not a negative association but rather one that I find too simple. I like simple names, but there are those in which I would consider the extreme, May/Mae is one; others would include Sue and Faye.
Maeve would work as a first or a middle in my opinion and would go well with a first/middle which begins with a vowel or ending in a consonant or an -a- ending, such as- Eleanor, Ellen, Amelia, Ariana etc. I also think names starting with a consonant and ending in the -a- sound would be good as well, such as- Bianca, Clara, and Hannah.

Maeve Eleanor
Ellen Maeve
Maeve Amelia
Maeve Ariana
Bianca Maeve
Maeve Clara
Maeve Hannah
etc.

Alternatives for Maeve-
Obviously May/Mae
Maebelle
Macy/Macie
Mabel
Maeron
Maeryn
Marion
Maelie
Meako
Meagan
and the more literal Maive (said the name as Maeve)

Overall I think Maeve has a certain appeal, but I think it's one of those names where you either love it, or hate it. Paired with the right first or middle it could be a very lovely name choice. I think this is a name that one needs to mull around in their heads for a while before deciding on. It's not for the faint of heart, but is a strong feminine name that will carry well on a child and into adulthood.

J. Kristen

0 comments: