BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Baby Name of the Day- Isaac


Today's name is Isaac.

ISAAC
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
English, Hebrew (Anglicized), Biblical, Biblical Latin
Pronounced: IE-zək (English)
[key]
From the Hebrew name
יִצְחָק (Yitzchaq) which meant "he laughs". Isaac in the Old Testament was the son of Abraham and the father of Esau and Jacob. As recounted in Genesis, God tested Abraham's faith by ordering him to sacrifice his son, though an angel prevented the act at the last moment.
As an English Christian name, Isaac was occasionally used during the Middle Ages, though it was more common among Jews. It became more widespread after the
Protestant Reformation. Famous bearers include the physicist and mathematician Sir Isaac Newton (1643-1727) and the science-fiction writer Isaac Asimov (1920-1992).

The SS lists the name Isaac at the number 37 spot for 2008. Isaac first appears in the top 1000 in the year 1880 at the number 62 spot. It steadily lost favor over the years and by 1967 was at the number 379 spot. After that year Isaac slowly but steadily returned to favor and it's popularity increased until today as it rests nicely in the number 37 spot.

I personally like the name Isaac, but it's not one I would use myself. The appeal of this name is understandable. It's classic, and strong. A very masculine name and not likely to be "stolen" by the 'boy-name-turned-girl-name-fad' groups out there who have destroyed such great boy names as Elliot and Evan. Isaac has the feel of other biblical names as Isaiah, Elijah and Ezra. It's not an overly popular biblical name such as Noah, Paul, Luke, and esp Matthew, Mark, Michael, and John. Isaac has a very ancient feel to it that I love. I am a huge fan of ancient names, and the beauty of them is sometimes lost on modern parents. They pick names solely because they "sound good" and not for the meaning and/or history of the name, which I find a shame.
For public opinion on this name you can click the link to the question I asked about it on Yahoo!Answers-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090930103129AADdNkj&r=w

Middle names for Isaac that I think would work well, well...honestly I think just about any style would work. I also think it would work with something equally masculine or a bit softer in feel. I also think Isaac would work well as a middle name also. Isaac is a versatile name and one that I believe will be popular for a good long while. I think it's popularity will increase before it drops again.

First/Middle combos I like-
Isaac Henry
Joseph Isaac
Isaac Andrew
Lucas Isaac
Donovan Isaac
Isaac James

A very masculine name indeed, and it's pairings are anything from very masculine to cute masculine. I think with the perfect pairing it would be a very professional name as well.

Alternatives for Isaac-
Isaiah
Isaias
Ismet
Ismail
Israel
Issay
Ishmael
Istvan

Overall I think Isaac is a very nice masculine name that is popular, heard of and nice yet not overused too much. I think it would work great as a first name or a middle name and I think it has great alternative names as well. It's not for me personally, but I do see it's mass appeal for it's uncommon beauty and strength.

J. Kristen

0 comments: