BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baby Name of the Day- Troy


Today's name is Troy.

TROY
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
English
Pronounced: TROI
[key]
From a surname that originally denoted a person from the city of Troyes in France. This was also the name of the ancient city that was besieged by the Greeks in Homer's 'Iliad'.


The SS lists Troy at the number 231 spot for 2008. The name Troy first shows up on the list in 1880 at the number 742 spot. The following year it dropped to the number 859 spot in 1881 but had a dramatic rise in popularity the following year in 1882 at the number 467 spot. From there it's popularity slowly rose over the next hundred years and by 1982 was sitting at the 115 spot. Troy's peek in popularity was in the 60's and 70's when the name held spots from number 67 in 1962, number 40 in 1967 and 1968, number 69 in 1975 and finally lost favor in 1979 at the number 99 spot, after which Troy lost it's place in the top 100. It's popularity has decreased steadily ever since and now resides at the number 231 spot for 2008. A nice spot really.

I personally do not care for the name at all. To me it definitely screams "70's action movie star". I have known a few Troy's growing up..all babies from the 70's during it's most popular peek. The name does have a certain appeal being a reference to Homer's Iliad. However it's abrasive, short sound dates the name terribly I'm afraid. I honestly cannot recommend a name that I truly think has seen it's 'glitter' and has now faded. However, perhaps as a family name tribute I could see my way around the dated "fad" sound of the name. Troy was to the 70s as Aiden is to the 2000's, a "trend" name. I don't much care for trend names, but they have their time in the spotlight and certainly before they became so very popular they were unique and fresh.

Middle names for Troy in my opinion need to be carefully considered. Troy is a very abrupt, abrasive sounding name that something a bit more well rounded is needed in order to balance out the flow. Also taking into consideration the flow of ones surname is important. Someone named Troy Robinson sounds well rounded and full, rather than say someone named Troy Flint which is very abrupt and choppy. You'd have to have a spectacular middle name in the there to win me over with that first/surname combo. So if you have a short surname I'd recommend a decent flowing middle. If you have a long surname I'd recommend a full but short 2 syllable middle name.

For instance-
Troy Deveraux- middle suggestions- Patrick, Clinton, Marcus, Dylan
Troy Smith- middle suggestions- Alexander, Timothy, Christopher, Donovan

Taking ALL names into account pairing Troy will be no problem. I do recommend a name that flows well and is evenly balanced, otherwise Troy just sounds and old and dated as it truly is. Taking the length, middle and surname into account will help you bring a fresher sound to an old classic name. If you would like to see public opinion about Troy click on the link to this question I asked on Yahoo!Answers about it-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Avnx2Xok2F1vUG0xiNc8ggfsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20091001083159AA5bHTu

Overall I think Troy is workable if one is prepared to really work with and mull over good middles that flow well from start to finish, otherwise you'll end up with a choppy odd sounding mess. I personally wouldn't use the name Troy because I find it too short and abrasive sounding in general, but if this name was to honor family in some way; or you're just a huge Homer fan, I can understand the significance. An -iffy name with some potential.

J. Kristen

0 comments: