BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Family Name Review Day- Ronald

*Photo courtesy of my dad, Ronald Shaw*

Today's family name review will be on my dad's name, Ronald.

RONALD
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
Scottish, English
Pronounced: RAHNld
[key]
Scottish form of
RAGNVALDR, a name introduced to Scotland by Scandinavian settlers and invaders. It became popular outside Scotland during the 20th century. A famous bearer was American actor and president Ronald Reagan (1911-2004).

The ss lists Ronald at the number 308 spot for 2008. Ronald first appeared on the top 1000 list at number 868 in 1883. The name's popularity rose quickly over the next 20 yrs and by 1908 it was at the number 247 spot. It's peek was in 1941-1943 at the number 9 spot. This was most likely due to the actor, ( and Future US President) Ronald Reagan. From 1950 to 1958; during the time frame my father was born, Ronald was in the top twenty. It slowly lost popularity after 1959 and rests at the 308 spot today.

I love this name. It's Scottish and I'm a huge fan of Scottish and Irish names. For the meaning one had to look up the Scandinavian name that Ronald was derived from; Ragnvaldr which means "counsel, advice" and "ruler". When I think of this meaning and my dad I smile. It's dead on with who my dad is.

I have met a few Ronald's but not many and I think that's a plus when you are looking for a name that most people know, but not too many have. Ronald is a strong masculine name, no stealing for fad girly naming here. Most people who dislike this name make two comments, 1. "It reminds me of Reagan" or 2. "It reminds me of Ronald McDonald". I can understand if you are not a fan of Reagan then Ronald might not be something you'd entertain, but the "McDonald" excuse is just immature really. Sure I'm biased to this name, but it's not a horrible name.

Middles or Firsts for Ronald are not too hard to come up with. Ronald has a nice round feel to it and goes with many many names. some I would consider (or have chosen myself)-

Ronald Gavin
Ronald Garrett
Ronald Thomas
Ronald Marcus
Ronald James
Ronald Connor
Ronald Dean
Ronald Wyatt
Hayden Ronald (what I named my youngest child actually)
Patrick Ronald
Lucas Ronald
Aaron Ronald
Eric Ronald
Benjamin Ronald
Nathan Ronald

I think Ronald makes a great first or middle name. My favorite combo with Ronald as a first name is a middle name that starts with a G. Could be my bias speaking again since my dad's middle name starts with a G, but it does sound nice. I think with Ronald as a middle name a softer ending on a first name is best, usually with an N ending or an S ending such as Lucas or Benjamin.

Alternatives for Ronald might be-
Ronaldo
Reynold
Randall
Roden
Ronan
Rondell
Ronnie
Ron
Ronwen

Some alternatives are obvious, others are a bit more whimsical but I don't think any are too far from the original Ronald to not be a true tribute name. Ronan seems to be one that stands out for me. Said row-nan, it's a very interesting alternative and sounds a bit more modern than the classic sounding Ronald. Ronnie is usually considered a nickname for Ronald so I cannot see this as a proper name, but I do have a soft spot for it because it is in fact, my dad's nickname amongst family, and Ron is his nickname professionally.

Overall I think Ronald's is a well known but under used name. It's masculine and well rounded. Ronald would make a nice first or middle name and flows really well with names that end in N or S. This name is great for a baby and due to it's nicknames (Ronnie and Ron) it is easy to transition from childhood to adulthood with this name. I would like to hear it more often as I find Scottish names very strong and whimsical in a way. A great choice if you're looking for an under used yet very heard of name.

J. Kristen


0 comments: