BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Friday, October 2, 2009

What is the most overused name poll winner- Madison


Today's Baby name is the poll winner. My poll- What name is overused. The winner- Madison.

MADISON
Gender: Feminine & Masculine
Usage:
English
Pronounced: MAD-i-sən
[key]
From an English surname meaning "son of
MAUD". It was not commonly used as a feminine name until after the movie 'Splash' (1984), in which the main character adopted it as her name after seeing a street sign for Madison Avenue in New York City. A famous bearer of the surname was James Madison (1751-1836), one of the authors of the American constitution who later served as president.

The Social Security Lists this name at the number 4 spot for 2008 for a girl. Madison appeared at number 857 in 2004 for a boy but has since dropped off the list completely for boys. For a girl the name Madison first appears on the SS list at number 628 in 1985. For a boy Madison first appears on the SS list at number 370 in 1880. Clearly marking this name as a "boy name turned girl" fad. Madison for a girl gained in popularity after the release of the movie "Splash" in 1984 and rose as the years went on. It's peek was at the number 2 spot in 2001 and 2002. For a boy Madison has had a very slow but steady decline in popularity since it first appeared on the list, yo-yoing from one extreme to the other; at number 847 in 1990, then at number 626 in 1995 and then at number 875 in 1999.

I personally take the minority view of this name and find it to be very masculine. The very meaning of the name being -son of- just oozes masculinity and not femininity at all. I do, however, see the appeal of the name for girls. Maddy/Maddie is a very feminine nickname and I hear that more often than not as a nickname for this given name when applied to girls. Matty is a common nickname I have seen on boys named Madison and it fits perfectly, IMHO. I certainly would not suggest or consider this name for a child of mine of either gender. For one, it's overly popular on girls; sitting at the number 4 spot any boy named this would probably not appreciate the original meaning. Another thing is it's a bit tired. As an overused name, one tends to get sick of hearing it, cute though it may be.

After a certain point a name just loses it's sparkle, and Madison's sparkle faded out long ago. I suppose if one lived anywhere outside of the US it might be a nice name to consider, but I would like to hear it more on boys than girls. I'd hate to see the over use fad be drug on in another country. That would turn me off to this name forever I think.

Middle names for Madison are vast, since it goes with almost anything. It would more than likely also make a really nice middle name. I will now be forced to do something in which I will loathe (pardon me please while i grit my teeth and...in Monty Python style- "GET ON WITH IT!"). I will have to come up with first/middle name suggestions for Madison for both boys & girls. So here goes:

Girls:
The inevitable and predictable-
Madison Rose
Madison Grace
Madison Emma
Madison Emily
Madison Ann
Madison Leigh
Rose Madison
Emily Madison

The less foreseeable (and even workable..ehh maybe)-
Madison Adelaide
Madison Cordelia
Madison Julia
Madison Caroline
Madison Catherine
Bethany Madison
Brooke Madison
Amber Madison


Honestly I just couldn't bring myself to name a girl Madison, be it first or middle. The ultra feminine names just do not mesh well with the masculine Madison. For me that would be like trying to pair a feminine name like Elise with a masculine name like Henry.

boy-
Madison Henry
Madison Garrett
Madison Thomas
Madison Gabriel
Madison Walker
Nathaniel Madison
Aaron Madison
Lucas Madison
Robert Madison
Jonathan Madison

This is a breath of fresh air for me. Pairing these names together was simple and fun for me. I really and truly love the masculine quality of this name. Though I'd never use it for my own son because of it's over popularity on girls....it's a name I wish I wanted to use. I think I'd sooner use Morgan than Madison, but that's another blog.
You can read public opinion about the name Madison at this link from Yahoo!Answers where i've asked a question about it.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtTUS_LLkYVa03mdnB_HbuTsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20091002160819AAW6cxC

I really do like the appeal of this name for a boy, but it's over popularity on girls is a huge turn off. It doesn't help that Madison also sits on the SS list at number 4. I think for a boy it would be best as a middle name. I'm not fully opposed to having a once mostly used boy-name-turned-girl name on a boy, I actually knew and like the names Courtney, Jody, Carey, Kelly, and Ashley for boys...I just haven't come that far with Madison yet because of the number 4 standing in popularity. Maybe once this name decreases in popularity I will feel differently. Overall it's a classic masculine name that I think could make a come-back for boys in future when the appeal on girls wears out.

J. Kristen

0 comments: