BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Baby Name of the Day- Austin


Today's baby name is Austin.

AUSTIN
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
English
Pronounced: AWS-tin
[key]
Medieval contracted form of
AUGUSTINE (1). Modern use of the name is probably also partly inspired by the common surname Austin, which is of the same origin. This is also the name of the capital city in Texas.

The SS lists this name at the number 55 spot for 2008. The name Austin first appears on the SS list at the number 220 spot in 1880. It kept a pretty steady spot in the 200s and 300s until the 60's-70's when it dropped into the 400s and 500s. Slowly after 1972 Austin started to gain popularity again and by 1982 it was at the number 156 spot. Austin entered the top 100 in 1986 at the number 90 spot, and jumped to number 10 in just 9 short years. Austin's peek was in 1996 and 1997 at the number 9 spot for both years. After 1999 the name has slowly lost popularity and now rests at a nice spot at number 55.

I personally love this name. It's one of the few "place names" that I enjoy hearing. There is a certain roughness about it, something that is very manly and chiseled sounding. In my imagination (purely my own silliness of course, lol) I picture a well formed roughneck, dirty and tired from working on the rig. A pair of piercing blue eyes, brown hair, square jaw, nice smile and a slight dimple. A total "Texan", but NOT a cowboy. Just someone really manly and handsome. This could of course be caused by the fact that I was born and raised in Texas, and this is one of the many "good 'ol boy" names used in West Texas were I grew up. There is a collection of names in this area of Texas in which has that rough, hard working, manly feel to them, and Austin is in this category.

I personally enjoy the name Austen (with an e) better, but my love of this name isn't for the rough nature and hometown ties, it's because of Jane Austen the author. I separate the names Austin and Austen as two totally different 'feels'. Austin is rough and manly while Austen is handsome and elegant. Austin is steak and potatoes and Austen is veal and caviar. Also Austin is the state capital of Texas (yes, not San Antonio or Dallas like most Yankees think. *wink*), so i do prefer the Austen spelling as not to seem too corny...I love Texas and I am a proud Texan, but I'm not naming my kids Austin, Dallas, Houston or Antonio; but Austen is great. lol

Middle and First names for Austin-

Austin James
Austin Christopher
Austin Lucas
Austin Brody
Austin Edmund
Vincent Austin
William Austin
Douglas Austin
Kyle Austin

I think Austin is a fairly hard name to pair, but it's not too difficult. Finding the right flow and rhythm is what is the hardest. I think it would be a better first name than middle, though I do like the flow of it with a longer surname when it's used as a middle.

Alternatives for Austin-

Obviously my favorite Austen.
Aubrey (yes, this is masculine but ill leave it for another blog)
Aubren
Auden
Audi
August
Augustus
Augustin
Auren

Many of these alternatives are quite nice. I love Aubrey, but it's over use on girls (dag-nabbit!) turns me off too much. Aubren is a great one, has the feel of both Austin and Aubrey and is very masculine in look and sound. The traditional August and Augustus are great, but may only appeal to certain crowds. Auren and Auden a classic alternative with a modern feel. I think both of those would appeal to a very wide crowd of parents. Any of these names would make a great choice IMHO. For public opinion of this name visit the link listed below-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091003191955AAYChOo

Over all I find Austin very appealing and quite uncommon, though heard of. It has a very masculine quality to it that is very nice, and yet spelled slightly different it can have a real regal look. The name fits great with a well chosen middle or first name and balanced surname. The alternatives are great and vast. I really think this is one of those fast risen and fast fallen names that should have stuck around on the top 10 for just a tad longer. It's sparkle has not faded yet.

J. Kristen

0 comments: