BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What's In a Name?

What's In a Name?
Finding the meanings of names is most important.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Baby Name of the Day- Clara


Today's name is Clara

CLARA
Gender: Feminine
Usage:
Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian, English, Late Roman
Pronounced: KLAH-rah (Italian, German, Spanish), KLER-ə (English), KLAR-ə (English)
[key]
Feminine form of the Late Latin name Clarus which meant "clear, bright, famous". The name Clarus was borne by a few early
saints. The feminine form was popularized by the 13th-century Saint Clare of Assisi (called Chiara in Italian), a friend and follower of Saint Francis, who left her wealthy family to found the order of nuns known as the Poor Clares. As an English name it has been in use since the Middle Ages, originally in the form Clare, though the Latinate spelling Clara became more popular in the 19th century.

The SS list has the name Clara in the number 206 spot for 2008. Clara first appears on the list in 1880 at the number 12 spot. It gained popularity over the next 5 yrs, peeking out at it's top rank of number 7 in 1885. From then it slowly decreased in favor for many years. By 1978 it topped out at it's lowest rank at number 597. Clara started to regain favor in the 1990's and by 200 Clara was at the number 354 spot. It still is gaining popularity and I believe this name will come full circle in the next ten years and might even make it to the top 10 again.

I personally think the name Clara as wormed it's way into my favor. It's one of those names that one has to warm up to, mull over, rethink over and over a bit before finally settling on liking it or not. At first it honestly did remind me of a cow- Clarabelle. Lately though I've been seeing it recommended more and more on baby name forums and it has really come to be quite lovely to me. It has a young, yet vibrant feel to it. There is something very classic, yet edgy about it. It's also a lovely alternative to Claire, which is also a favorite of mine, but has risen in popularity a bit too much to my liking. I love those, classic, elegant heard of...but not over used type names.

Clara is one of those names that sounds absolutely adorable on a newborn baby, but at the same time sounds perfectly mature and grown up on an adult. It has a whimsical feel to it on a young child...at the same time as a sophisticated feel to it on professional adult.
Clara could be a kindergarten teacher, or a high power attorney. Clara could be a simple small town girl, or a big town socialite. It's so versatile and well rounded.
For public opinion about the name Clara, see the question I've asked on Y!As...click the link below:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091019222835AADCG1S&r=w

I have surprised myself yet again, as I can say without doubt, that Clara is one of my new favorites that I will be adding to my own "favs list", as soon as I find the perfect middle name. And speaking of perfect middles...and firsts. I can see a wide variety of names fitting nicely with Clara. I think I personally prefer something classic/traditional, rather than modern/trendy...but both could still work. Therefore I'll recommend some first/middle combos in both styles:

Clara Eleanor
Clara Iris
Clara Estelle
Clara Emmeline
Clara Noelle
Clara Everly
Clara Hailey
Clara Violet
Clara Fallon
Clara Raine
Daphne Clara
Elizabeth Clara
Lillian Clara
Natalie Clara
Everly Clara
Verity Clara
Helen Clara

I think a well chosen first or middle would have to be one w/out the "ah" ending so that it doesn't clash with the "ah" ending of Clara. Names with N endings or Y endings seem to work well. I think the more interesting combos like Clara Everly and Verity Clara are very strong and unique with out being too "tryndee".

Alternatives for Clara are vast, but these are some that I find lovely:

Clarice
Clarissa
Claudette
Claudia
Claire
Cara
Cora

I particularly love Clarice, Claire, Claudia and Cora. Wonderful under used names. I think any would make a great choice.

Overall I think Clara is a great name, whose favor is fast on the rise. I think it's a great well rounded name that would suit any little girl and age beautifully on her. It's a name that is timeless and classic and molds to just about any circumstance. Great names are versatile and this one takes the cake.

J. Kristen

0 comments: